Here’s an author interview from [intlink id=”1422″ type=”post”]Suz deMello[/intlink].
Find out what she had to say…
- How did you start writing erotica?
I was in a stuck place in my career as well as my writing. Two of my most trusted writing buddies, Lisa Marie Rice and Vanessa Hart, had jump-started their careers by turning to online erotica and advised me to do the same.
- What erotic authors do you enjoy reading?
Portia Da Costa, Justine Elyot and Cassidy Ryan are three of my favorites.
- Where do you draw your inspiration from?
My life. I’ve had several careers and traveled a great deal. My last gig was teaching English to toddlers in China. I can’t say that I derived any direct inspiration from it but living in a developing country as opposed to the USA made me realize how grateful I am for everything I have.
- Do you have any unusual writing rituals?
No, not at all. From what I hear, the majority of us write at our desks in our bathrobes, and that’s what I do.
- Where’s your favourite place to write?
- Who is your favourite character from one of your stories and why?
I love all my characters and stories, but I have to say that Elena Lautari, the title character of Gypsy Witch is one of my faves. A white witch living in Sacramento, California, my hometown, she’s a witch of immense powers and much restraint, except in the bedroom.
- Do your nearest and dearest know what you do, and if so, what was their reaction when they found out?
My family are used to my quirky ways, so there was no surprise at all.
- What was your ideal career when you were a child?
I was completely at sea about my love for writing and editing until a few years ago, so I didn’t have an ideal career.
- How do you get yourself in the mood to write?
I read the last few pages of my work in progress before going to bed and tell myself to dream about my characters.
- What’s the best writing tip you’ve ever been given?
Can’t really answer that!
- If you get writer’s block when you’re writing, how do you get around it?
I have lunch with my critique partner, the incomparable Diane Farr.
- If you could bring one of your characters to life, which one would it be and why?
Gideon Landers in “First and Last,” futuristic erotica I wrote for Ellora’s Cave. He runs a colony on the far side of the moon as well as being mega-hot.
- Which author, erotic or otherwise would you love to meet and why?
J.K. Rowling, and I bet that no one needs an explanation as to why!
- What’s your favourite genre within erotica and why?
I tend to write paranormal but like to read contemporary M/F, because those fantasies can actually come true.
- What are you working on at the moment?
Vampire historical erotica. Think vampires in kilts.
- What’s the biggest writing challenge you’ve ever taken on? Did you succeed?
My non-erotica alter ego was offered a book in a continuity series from Silhouette. The constraints and requirements were pretty difficult, but I wrote a book that sold well and garnered good reviews.
- What’s your biggest writing achievement? Why?
A book written by my non-erotica alter ego reached the finals of the Romance Writers of America RITA awards in 2002. Being honored by one’s peers feels really great. My books have also been reviewed in Publisher’s Weekly, Kirkus and Booklist.